Daisypath Anniversary tickers

 Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

2010-02-15

Julie & Julia was OK

My significant other, in honor of Valentine's Day, rented an uber-chick flick, Julie & Julia.  After a belly-busting veggie thali dinner in Little India (which until tonight I hadn't realized existed at all), we came home, assumed our usual positions on the sofa, and watched the movie. 

It was OK.

Meryl Streep does a really good impersonation of Julia Child, but I would hardly call her performance as an actor in the movie Oscar-worthy.  Amy Adams was good.  Stanley Tucci was good.  Everyone in the movie was good!  The writing was ok, the costumes - eh, the art direction & production design - ok, the editing - eh, the directing - ok...  I just didn't feel as uplifted at the end of the movie as I think the director (Nora Ephron) had intended. 

(Disclaimer: I never read Julie Powell's blog, I never read the book, and I went into watching the movie expecting a lot - having heard so much buzz from the media, my friends/family, and being a fan of cooking/eating/cookbooks myself.)

I really wanted to love this movie - I wanted to be inspired and hope-filled and all warm & gushy inside after the credits began rolling.  Instead, I felt a bit deflated and melancholy. I also had a bit of heartburn... but that's another post.   I'm willing to accept that 75% of the reason I was so let down was because I had such high hopes - but even if I had gone in expecting nothing, I'm pretty sure I still would have been a little disappointed.  Maybe it's because I just finished watching it a couple hours ago, but I feel like I'm not properly expressing exactly how & why I didn't like the movie as much as I wanted to.  This is all I have to say for now... if I can think of something better, I'll come back & edit it.

No comments:

Post a Comment