Daisypath Anniversary tickers

 Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

2010-11-16

I just can't.


Pregnancy brings with it a whole host of lists and articles on what you can't or shouldn't eat, drink, or do.  I don't know if it's because I'm the child of a physician (who always told me nothing was that bad or that great for you - all things in moderation) or because I'm a lifelong smart ass who just doesn't like being told what to do - but I just can't adhere to all these rules.

Following, is a list of those items I simply cannot live without  - even for 9 months.  Call me weak. Call me a horrible mother.  But it just doesn't seem worth the stress or compromised quality of life I feel I'd be "suffering" by foregoing them...

1)  Caffeine.  Most publications say that up to 200mg of caffeine per day is ok.  I try to imbibe about 199 mg/day.  I did cut out full-caff coffee - I only drink decaf. And only one cup a day - and not even everyday at that.  I also like my occasional glass of Trader Joe's Sweet Tea, or a cup of hot green tea latte.

2)  Alcohol. An occasional sip of wine or beer will not ruin my baby. I'm quite certain. A recent LA Times article sited a British study that found that a pregnant woman could have the equivalent of up to one glass of wine/beer a week with no obvious implications on that child's cognitive development.  Of course, for every article that ventures the occasional drink is ok, there are about 50 articles that warn pregnant women should categorically abstain from alcohol.

3)  Raw food. I love lox.  I LOVE LOX.  And I LOVE SUSHI.  I cannot go 9 months without lox or sushi, I'm now realizing.  I actually DREAMED about sushi last night - no joke.  In my dream, I was walking down a street (on some other mission of course) and happened to pass a plate of sashimi sitting on the curb.  Just sitting there.  Looking delicious.  I'm sure I drooled a little extra into my pillow at that very moment.  I'm not going to eat as much sushi/lox as I normally would.  But one bagel with lox or a spicy tuna roll, every 2 to 3 months, methinks is ok.  I also refuse to give up over medium eggs, or medium-rare cuts of meat.  Ptooey.

So those are the big 3.  I don't mind giving up hot dogs or questionable deli meats (uh, who doesn't already pass over slimy bologna??).  I don't miss gin or Jack Daniels by any means.  And I have no problem snubbing unpasteurized milk products and cigarettes.

I am trying to eat healthier in general (more fruits, vegetables & whole grains) - but I do have my minor slipups... such as my 2-day binge on KFC mashed potatoes & gravy - and my attempt to win $1 million in McDonald's Monopoly sweepstakes by buying the occasional large fries or breakfast meal (all I won was a free medium fries... how ironic).  I drink way less soda than I used to, and try to opt for non-caffeinated sodas (which, by the way, are usually more expensive) when I do.  I drink gallons and gallons of water (at the expense of my employer, hehe).  And I try to exercise at least once a week. (Hey, it's better than NONE!)

You can judge me, if you will.  But it won't change a thing. So there.

No comments:

Post a Comment