Daisypath Anniversary tickers

 Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

2010-09-22

"Architectural Architect"


So I've been job-hunting with a new-found ferocity over the last 24 hours.  That, and I've been desperately racking my brain for something to blog about so I can replace my last post (and therein the first thing you see when you visit this page).

I'm just a little peeved.

You see, before any architecture student steps foot into a studio, classroom, or lecture hall - we have ingrained and pounded into our brains that the title of "Architect" is sacred.  Not just in the nebulous theoretical realm of design.  But literally and legally.  Most states and local jurisdiction have very explicit laws regarding the misuse and abuse of the title of "Architect".  In fact, every month or so, I get a newsletter from the CAB (California Architects Board).  For the most part it's filled with award recipients and uber-architects' names who are in the news for designing some high profile project or another, editorials about the Freedom Tower, and so forth.  But the part that every self-respecting Architect & wanna-be architect flip to first - is the "ENFORCEMENT" section.  This is where they list all the people who have been POSING as architects and have been caught - or those legitimate architects who have been behaving badly.

Some gems from the Enforcement section might go like this:
"JOHN DOE - formal reprimand and administrative penalty of $5,000 for unauthorized and improper use of the professional title 'Architect'."
"JOE BROWN, ARCHITECT - administrative penalty of $2,000 for two occurrences in which he engaged in the practice of architecture while his registration was on inactive status; reprimand for use of a noncompliantarchitectural seal and failure to affix the date of signature to a sheet of architectural drawings he sealed and signed."


Do you see how seriously these people take the title of "Architect"???

So why am I peeved?  Because as I job-hunt, I'll type in the word "architect" into one of those mega job-seeking websites (like Monster, CareerBuilder, etc.) and all I get back are positions for:
       - Data Systems Architects
       - Solutions Architects
       - User Interface Architects
       - .NET Architects
       - Lead Java Architect
       - Software Architect
       - ERP Application Architect

Once I filter out all the non-tech related posts, I'm usually left with 1-2 listings - for which I'm grossly under- or over-qualified for.

Apparently, in every other field outside of architecture - you can use the term Architect like it's a hand towel!  And it makes it REALLY difficult for people like me to look for jobs...

Apparently, all these years - when people would ask me "Oh, so you're an architect!" and I'd have to bashfully explain "Well, no, I'm not an architect per se..." - were for naught!  Because all I had to do was to CEASE wanting to be an Architect and I could call myself an Architect all day long!

No comments:

Post a Comment