Daisypath Anniversary tickers

 Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

2010-10-22

Don't hate the game, hate the player?

Every day, on my way to and from work, I come up with a new list:  The List of Cars on the Road I Hate.

Some makes and models of cars consistently make this list, which means they qualify for my other list:  The All-Time List of Cars on the Road I Hate.  

In order to qualify for either list, I basically have to encounter your make/model of car on the road and have a very negative impression or experience with it.  To make the latter list, this has to occur at least five times. 

For example, yesterday afternoon on my home from work I was behind a black Toyota Prius who was more than just a little brake-happy.  We were traveling down a one-lane road in Palos Verdes, and traffic was moving at around 30 to 40 mph.  There are lots of traffic signals on this stretch of road, so it made for a lot of stop & go.  But this person in front of me (in the black Prius) seemed to think the best way to take advantage of his/her hybrid was to quickly accelerate then slam on the brakes - over and over again - even when there was no reason for stopping or slowing down.  The driver's erratic driving habits led me to put a little extra distance between that car and myself.  But it still didn't make me immune to having to respond to their sudden going and stopping because, as there was a long line of cars behind me, I felt pressure to not leave TOO much room between us lest the cars behind me think I was an idiot.  So, somewhere between Torrance and San Pedro, I decided I hated all black Priuses (Prii?).

You get the picture.

Over the past 14-odd years of being a driver in the state of California, my All-Time List has evolved into the following:

The All-Time List of Cars on the Road I Hate:
- All white cars (amended in 2000 to:) All white trucks, domestic sedans/coupes, BMWs, and minivans.
- All green trucks (whether they be compact Tacomas or giant GMCs with double tires in the back)
- All monster trucks on surface streets
- Chrysler 300s and Dodge Chargers, especially black ones (which makes up about 95% of 'em)
- PT Cruisers, especially purple ones
- Minivans driven by Asian males - they are especially insane (inane?) on the freeway
- Blue Corvettes
- Older white Camaros (actually, these fall under All White Domestic Coupes)
- Chevy HHRs and most Malibus (again, especially white ones)
- Silver BMW 7's driven by Asians (male or female)
- Lexuses (Lexi?) with super dark tinted windows
- All airport shuttle vans, especially the ones that drive 60 mph in the carpool lane
- Ford Excursions, especially when driven by a teenager or petite adult female
- Lexus LXs

My current list is basically the same as above, with the addition of:

- Pre-2004 (1st Generation) Priuses, especially seafoam ones.
- Light blue Honda CR-Vs
- Weaving Land Rovers
- Toyota Land Cruisers
and of course,
- Black Priuses


Strangely enough, I've never encountered a bad driver of a red Audi A3 or blue Saturn SL2.  These types of cars must just attract people of a finer moral fiber...

1 comment:

  1. Hahaha you crack me up. My dad makes your list three times. Asian male driving a white minivan airport shuttle! And he's always in the carpool lane, probably driving 60 mph because he once got a ticket for speeding in the carpool lane so since then is scared to death of getting another ticket because my mom would probably kill him. Chris made your list too, before when he had his blue corvette ... with racing stripes. Ha!

    ReplyDelete