Daisypath Anniversary tickers

 Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

2010-08-03

49 resumes, 4 interviews, 1 part-time job



I know, forty-nine resumes doesn't sound like a lot.  But that's due to the fact that there are probably 5-6 job postings per week. Of those 5-6 postings, I will qualify, barely qualify, or be over-qualified for 0-2 of them.  I have not been gainfully employed for 151 days (21.38 weeks) now.  As I near my 5 month mark, I'd like to share my "Greatest Hits" reel of my job hunt thus far...

Special Moment #15
Realize that, after my first unemployment check, I don't 't seem to be getting another check, or a claims form for another check, in the mail.  Battle with EDD, a.k.a. "Employment Development Department," via phone lines (that no one ever picks up and keeps hanging up on me because all their lines are busy and there's basically no chance in hell I'll talk to someone, but while I'm on hold for 15 minutes before I hear that *click*, the recording is cheerfully telling me - over and over and over again, and at a volume exponentially higher than the elevator music between these announcements - how they've generously extended their hours of service to accommodate the increased volume of calls) and online forms (with a guaranteed 10-day turnaround - oh, you mean 6 days AFTER our rent is due and I won't even need the money anymore because I'll probably be moving back into my parents' house after getting evicted as delinquent tenants? Thanks!) for 2.5 weeks.  Finally get a new claims form 4 weeks later.

Special Moment #31
Realize, just before my first interview in almost 6 years, that my brand new interview suit jacket has sleeves that go down to the first knuckle on my middle fingers, and when I reach out to shake the hand of my interviewer I just give him a handful of scratchy grey Ann Taylor wool gabardine with a warm balmy fingertip poking out. He literally grasps my whole hand (because my thumb didn't have enough room to wrap between his thumb and hand like a normal person when they shake hands - y'know, because it was constricted by my too-long sleeve), has a momentary distance in his eyes as he probably wonders what's wrong with my right hand, and I think to myself - "What a great first impression, Alli! Tally ho!"  (Yes, the voice inside my head is that of a genteel middle-aged British man. What of it?)

Special Moment #97
Walk into an office - think that I've come in the secondary way or back exit somehow (because there were no markings on the door and it seemed like I walked into the corner of a large room with 6-7 cubicles, and not an "official" entrance to a business that would most likely have a waiting area and/or a receptionist with a some sort of sign or nameplate assuring me that I was in the right place).  Walk back out in the hallway, pace to the doors on either side of it - one of them is open and I ask the girl who looks up from her receptionist-type desk where the main entrance to "XYZ" Architects is, and she motions to the door I just walked out of - so I walk back to that door, open it and fully step into the office completely perplexed.  The in-room temperature feels about 82 degrees and I hear talk radio at a barely audible volume in the background.  Then, amid the sea of (I am now realizing mainly empty) cubicles, a lone head pops up - ear to phone - and then a hand gesturing me to come in, then gesturing the number "1" - as in "Give me one second".  Then the head disappears again.  I wait patiently and look around the empty-but-one room as my hopes for this job prospect sink considerably.


Just sent out 2 more resumes tonight... 
wish me luck.

(Oh, and I did get those jacket sleeves altered.)

4 comments:

  1. chin up kiddo. you'll find a job soon... i can feel it! enjoy the time off (though I hated it when people would tell me that, because it's really hard to enjoy "time off" when you have no money, no income, and lots of building debt.) so i will tell you this:
    enjoy sleeping in.
    enjoy kissing matt on the cheek as he leaves for work as you lay cuddled warm in bed with kitty in the morning.
    enjoy tv (oh how i miss it)
    enjoy the free time to cook and bake and try out new recipes.
    and well ... i can't think of anything else. come to think of it, i hated being unemployed. but you know what - you can't be jobless forever - that's what i would tell myself. you WILL find something fabulous soon .. i promise. you just have to hang in there until you do.

    ReplyDelete
  2. and good luck on those resumes!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Moment 31 was hilarious!! PLEASE enjoy your time off, think of all the minions stuck in cubicles M-F from 9-5, only seeing the light of day during their lunch hour. How sad.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete