Daisypath Anniversary tickers

 Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

2010-08-10

Resumes #50 thru ??

 

As the days of August quietly vanish like stars at daybreak, the sense of desperation for finding another job seems to compound exponentially every night after dinner as I sit with my laptop on - where else - my lap, on the couch, next to my husband as he either watches TV or plays video games.

Rather than waiting (impatiently) for job postings on my 3 go-to sites - Archinect, AIALA, and Craigslist - anymore, I've decided to go the proactive route.

I go to the directory of every architect/firm registered with the AIA (American Institute of Architects) and, starting from Z (because I figure other hunters started from A - suckas!), I go to the website of each architect or firm, discover their email address - sometimes they even have actual job opportunities listed, although most don't and just have the generic "we're always looking for talent blah blah don't hesitate to send us your examples of work and resume blah blah" - and write a semi-custom cover letter, attach my resume/ref letter/samples of work, and click "Send".

I have very little criteria for the types of firms I send my resume to - they could specialize in hospitals, schools, restaurant chains, corporate interiors, or houses (hey, I know houses!) They range from one architect working out of his home (hey, what have I got to lose?) to international firms with 6 worldwide offices (fat chance - but, hey, what have I got to lose?).  There have only been 2 places out of the first 23 listings on the directory that I didn't send a resume to - one was a 1-man shop in San Dimas, and the other was a 4-man shopping mall design team in Santa Fe Springs with pictures on their website that looked like they were taken in the 80s.

Having had to work all 5 days last week (I know, poor me!), I had very little time & energy when I got home to job hunt.  So over the weekend, and today, I've been a very busy bee sending out resume after resume - cover letter after cover letter - explaining to this Human Resources Manager and that Office Director how I would be a vital member of their team and hit the ground running with my strong set of technical skills even though I lack practical experience in their firm's specific field of architecture...

Didn't you know I've always wanted to work in Urban Planning/Retail Design/Office Interiors/Waste Management Facility Design/Healthcare Campuses????

Like, since forever!

No comments:

Post a Comment