Daisypath Anniversary tickers

 Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

2010-06-15

Chicken commando


So I found a job.  La dee da.

Don't go reaching for your confetti yet - it's just part-time and most likely temporary (I'm only guaranteed employment until August).  And it's a significant pay cut from my last job.  But, hey, beggars can't be choosers.  "And in this economy..."  (Man, how those last three words are starting to sound like nails on a chalkboard.)

The new job is much closer to home.  Plus.
I have a lot more independence at my new job.  Plus.
I am getting out of the house (and more importantly, off the couch).  Plus.
I am seeing the light of day at least 3 weekdays out of the 5.  Plus.
I am meeting new people, albeit 5 of them.  Plus.
I get to design, though they mainly be remodeled bathrooms.  Plus.
I get to work with Revit - a very marketable skill if/when I seek alternate employment.  Plus.
On the days I do work, I'm done at 4pm - and now that it's summer, that still leaves 4+ hours of daylight!  Plus.
I'm getting away from Kitty, which means less scratches and bite marks on my arms & legs.  Plus.
I'm bringing home some of that proverbial bacon.  Plus.

The job has its minuses (I already mentioned the monetary one), but I'm not going to look a gift horse in the mouth

I will put it this way, though. 

If architecture/design firms were like eating establishments... 

You've got the international firms (i.e. HOK, SOM) or the really famous names (i.e. Frank Gehry, Santiago Calatrava) - they're like the super posh places to eat - Mastro's, Koi, or STK - you go there to pay an arm & a leg in exchange for name-dropping privileges. 
There are the mid-size firms that aren't has well-known but still turn out a good product - think of the nicer chain restaurants: Fleming's or Lawry's.  They've been around forever and have a solid reputation, but aren't has glitzy as some. 
My old firm was like the really good mom & pop Italian joint that all the locals knew about - it wasn't cheap - but you got your money's worth.  You got fresh ingredients, personalized attention, and if you didn't like too much garlic in your pesto - the chef held back.  Just for you.
When I was working as a consultant for my ex-colleague, it was like doing odd jobs for those people that make cupcakes and casseroles out of their home and sell them to their neighbors for marginal profit.
My new job isn't even technically an architecture firm.  There are no architects (i.e. chefs) on staff, and it all comes down to the bottom line.

My new job is like working at Popeyes.

At Popeyes Louisiana Chicken, you know what you're getting before you step in the door.  The menu isn't that diverse. Odds are you want some form of fried chicken, and you don't want to spend much.  You also (should) have some expectation of what kind of customer service you'll be getting.  No one's going to hold your hand and wait patiently while you go through the wine list, inquire about the soup of the day, or ask which dishes' ingredients are in-season.  You walk in, stare at the menu above the ordering counter for a moment if you have to, start ordering with "Gimme..." or "I wanna...", wait about 2-3 minutes for your food, then just figure out if you want to wait and consume your meal in the comfort of your home, or enjoy it sooner but in the slight discomfort of the restaurant. 

Customers that walk into Popeyes usually try and squeeze every ounce of their money's worth into the forthcoming meal.  They don't just want the Family Meal with Mashed Potatoes, mixed dark & white meat, spicy, with an extra Large Red Beans & Rice - they want the chicken straight out of the fryer (and not the ones that have been sitting under the heat lamp for Lord knows how long) and they want a couple extra biscuits "just because".  They want 2 handfuls of hot sauce packets even though there's no way they'll use them all and 27 extra napkins even though there's no way they'll use them all (although napkin hoarders are their own breed and deserve their own dedicated post).

My new office has this atmosphere that is uncannily like a fast food restaurant.  You come in, order, we try and turn the product around as quick as humanly possible, then you're on your own.  Most of the people working here are probably getting paid less than they're worth (did I mention my paycut?), almost everyone works part-time so the Owner doesn't have to worry about insurance or pesky 401k's, and the atmosphere is very casual - more laissez-faire than industrious. Kind of like when you walk into a Popeyes sometimes and the gal behind the register acts like she's doing you a favor by taking your order? Not that we're that sassy, but you get the picture - employees probably tend to get disgruntled but it would cost management more to keep them happy than to just let them take out their frustration on the customers.

Disclaimer: I LOVE Popeyes Louisiana Chicken.  I go there at least once every few months to pig out on their extra crispy, extra spicy chicken breasts that are the size of my face - with some red beans and rice, mashed potatoes with cajun gravy, and the saltiest biscuit in the world.  So I write all this with a bit of fondness.  I'm not ASHAMED of my new job.  I'm just being realistic.

I'll be wearing my paper hat & hair net with pride.

1 comment:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete