Daisypath Anniversary tickers

 Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

2010-06-02

Robin Hood V


I think it's fair to call this Robin Hood V as it's the fifth major cinematic rendition of the Robin Hood story (after the Errol Flynn, Disney, Kevin Costner, and Cary Elwes versions).  My husband and I watched it a couple weekends ago with only a handful of other people in the theatre.

I was expecting nothing.  And I think my husband was expecting much more.

The film is definitely not bad - it's a Ridley Scott movie, which means a powerful score, sweeping cinematography, and a plot development that will keep you engaged.  It is 2 hours and 20 minutes long, however. (I will add that Sex & the City 2 was 6 minutes longer and it felt like it was 60.)  Russell Crowe is in fine form as always - nothing Oscar-worthy but the man can act and carry on dialogue, especially opposite Cate Blanchett.  There are definitely moments that felt reminiscent of Gladiator (a man with nothing to lose, trying to find himself, ends up leading a downtrodden group against tyranny) and Braveheart (a man with nothing to lose, trying to find himself, ends up leading a downtrodden group against tyranny).

I give it a solid B.

And, in case you're curious, I give Sex & the City 2 a C+; Gladiator and Braveheart both get very solid A's.

No comments:

Post a Comment